- 2 lbs hash browns (boil potatoes and then shred or use frozen hash browns)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups longhorn cheese, grated, firmly packed
- 1 1/2 cups corn flakes, crushed
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until translucent.
- Mix all ingredients, except cornflakes and 4 tablespoons butter, together.
- Put potato mixture into a 9x13 inch baking pan.
- Combine cornflakes and butter, and sprinkle evenly over top of casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-50 minutes or until heated and bubbly.
these are called funeral potatoes because they are served so often at funerals, they can be put together ahead of time, kept in the fridge and then baked just before they are to be served.